Our firm understands the injustice that individuals encounter daily at work because of their race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, and so much more. If you are in this horrible situation, do not wait to reach out for help. Our legal team is experienced in helping people just like you obtain the justice they deserve. Give us a call today to speak with a dedicated Knoxville employment discrimination attorney.
What are the different types of discrimination in the workplace?
It is unfortunate that employees across the world face discrimination in the workplace every day. Fortunately, in Tennessee, you have options if you are facing this situation. Below are just some of the various kinds of discrimination our clients have taken legal action for:
- National Origin Discrimination: In the event that an employer discriminates against an employee because of their place of birth, an accent, or because they are married or are associated with someone of a certain national origin, it is possible that the employee will have a valid national origin discrimination claim.
- Race Discrimination: If an individual is discriminated against because of their race, they are violating Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. While society should be in a place where race discrimination does not happen, unfortunately, it does.
- Color Discrimination: Individuals of color are covered classes under Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission describes “color” as the complexion, shade/tone, or pigmentation of a person’s skin.
- Sex Discrimination: Discrimination as a result of one’s gender is still recognized and witnessed by many.
- Religious Discrimination: Religious discrimination in the workplace is deemed a violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Religious discrimination typically comes in the form of failing to supply an employee with specific appropriate accommodations, such as exceptions to dress and grooming rules, short breaks for praying, flexible scheduling for religious holidays, and more.
- Disability Discrimination: It is unfortunate that individuals with disabilities face discrimination every day in the workplace. You must keep in mind, however, that employees with disabilities are protected from discrimination under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990.
- Age Discrimination: The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1976 states that employees over the age of 40 who work for private employers with a minimum of 20 employees can not be discriminated against just because of their age. If you have a suspicion that you were denied a promotion, fired, or otherwise negatively influenced at your job just because of your age, you may have a valid discrimination lawsuit.
It is important to note that these issues are just the shell of many discrimination issues that come up daily. Because of this, if you have been discriminated against, do not hesitate to reach out to our firm today. Our experienced Knoxville employment attorney will be at your side no matter what.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED TENNESSEE FIRM
Morris & Doolan has significant experience representing clients facing a wide range of workers’ compensation matters, including denial of benefits, appeals, and third-party lawsuits. Contact us today to learn more about our services.