Here at Morris & Doolan, PLLC, we handle employment law matters related to work injuries and other medical issues. You can depend on a knowledgeable Knoxville employment attorney right here to help ensure that your needs are met. We understand that there are few things worse than sustaining an injury on the job or developing a medical issue that affects your capability to work. Unfortunately, sometimes, employers will add insult to injury and retaliate against or otherwise punish their injured employees. This is unacceptable. Our firm is here to help bring these parties to justice. Contact Morris & Doolan, PLLC today to learn more about how our competent legal team can effectively guide you through every step of the legal process ahead.
Knoxville Employment Attorney | Protecting Your Rights As An Employee
Coping with an injury or other medical condition can affect your ability to do your job. Fortunately, state and federal employment laws offer protections for employees with injuries, disabilities, and other medical issues, including pregnancy.
If you are someone who believes you were unfairly discriminated against in the workplace, you should strongly consider speaking with a knowledgeable Knoxville employment attorney who can fight for your best interests. For example, our firm can explain your rights and options under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) or the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). We can also represent you and help you seek just compensation if your employer has failed to respect your rights under state or federal employment law.
FMLA is a federal law that offers protections for employees who need to take medical leave for their own medical conditions or the medical condition of a family member. However, sometimes employers fail to respect the rights of employees who take FMLA leave.
For example, an employee may take FMLA leave and later return to work, only to find that the employer has given the employee’s job to someone else. In such a case, the employer may have violated the employee’s rights under FMLA.
We can help you determine whether your specific situation meets the requirements for FMLA protections. We can also represent you and help you resolve the matter if your FMLA rights have been violated in any way.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a federal law that offers protections to employees with disabilities. For example, employers that must comply with the ADA are required to provide appropriate workplace accommodations to employees with disabilities. Such accommodations could range from adjustments to work stations to bathroom and wheelchair accessibility. If you believe your employer has violated your ADA rights, we can help you seek an appropriate resolution.
Additional Employment Law Matters We Handle
Our firm handles the gamut of employment law matters, including the following:
- Employment Discrimination: Employees in Tennessee are protected from discrimination under both state and federal laws, and our Knoxville employment attorney’s job is to help ensure that your rights are protected at all times. If you believe your employer violated them, we can help you bring a discrimination claim.
- Employment Agreements: There are several types of employment agreements, including non-compete agreements, severance agreements, and more. It is always best to know what you are signing before you sign it. Our legal team will read the fine print and determine whether it is truly in your best interests to sign the agreement in question. Further, if you’ve been accused of violating an agreement, you will also require strong legal representation. We are here to help.
- Hostile Work Environment: When employers harass, threaten, or punish their employees for arbitrary or bigoted reasons, it often makes for a hostile work environment. In most cases, hostile work environments entail some sort of discrimination. Our firm can help ensure that any wrongs you’ve endured because of a hostile work agreement are remedied.
- Worker Retaliation: When certain employees witness acts of discrimination or wrongdoing, they will report the discrimination, either to the HR department or otherwise. Unfortunately, reporting wrongdoing can anger employers and cause them to retaliate against their employees. Fortunately, employees are protected from retaliation, and if you can prove that your employer retaliated against you solely because you reported an act of wrongdoing, you should have a valid claim. Our firm can help you file it.
- Sexual Harassment: Sexual harassment in the workplace is still a very prevalent and very real issue. Unwanted sexual advances or rude sexual remarks can make an employee feel threatened, scared, and unwanted. Sexual harassment creates hostile work environments. Our goal is to eradicate sexual harassment in the workplace, once and for all.
- Wrongful Termination: Perhaps the most common way in which employers will discriminate against their employees is by firing them. If you believe your position was wrongfully terminated because it was solely on the basis of a protected class, you should have a valid claim against your employer. Our Knoxville employment attorney is prepared to fight in your corner, every step of the way.
- Wage & Hour Law: There are federal and state wage & hour laws, and when employers violate those laws, typically to save money, they deserve to be held accountable. This is where we come in.
Contact a Knoxville Employment Attorney
To speak with a skilled and dedicated attorney about your employment law concerns, contact Morris & Doolan, PLLC. We offer free initial consultations and represent clients in Knoxville and throughout East Tennessee. Remember, your employer may not always be on your side, but we will be.